Skip to main content

At last inside the beast....


It has been a while since I updated the blog on this project so please accept my apologies  life sometimes gets in the way a bit!

So I received the screwdrivers through the post and proceeded to open up the Mac tonight. Wow lots of interesting old school tech in here... SCSI hard disk... CRT tube... bespoke power supplies.. network card with Made in USA stamped on it - I've not see a sticker with that on for a long while on tech hardware!

So now I am in the teardown and strip out of all the components will begin on the next update. In other news thought of a name for the project - Apple Pie. On account of using a Raspberry Pi as the main driver and obviously the Apple computer origin.... Can you think of a better name? Suggest some in the  comments... Also thought of Raspberry Apple Pi....

Until next time so long for now. Promise to update this more frequently in future. Allocated a night in the week now to progress this project....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well it looks like I will have to root my phone to get the bluetooth PS3 controller driver to work.... question is to root or not to root.... hmmm. I'll see if there are any workarounds really don't want to risk losing the warranty on the phone yet. However how much damage can giving su access do to a phone... ;)  Found a nice retro piece about the original iPhone. Still not sure if it's lasting contributions to mobile phones is going to be a good or bad thing. Virtual QWERTY keyboards are frustrating IMHO.... Maybe its just me and fat finger syndrome... Anyhow it's difficult to buy a phone that *doesn't* have only a touch screen these days. Anyhow it's been 5 years... Yes it has been *that* long since it made an appearance! http://www.mobilegazette.com/ retro-apple-iphone-12x03x21.htm

After nearly seven years its time to fire this blog up again. A new project.

Project: iGame Overview So retro gamers you know the score you have a cupboard full of hardware taking up space, multiple switchboxes to access all your consoles, CRT screens etc. Basically its a PITA to be a retro gamer these days.  The pondering begins. What to do with an old Mac SE/30 I've had stood in the lounge for a couple of years? Fishtank I hear you scream? Fate of many an old Mac... no...boring, predictable... then....the spark of inspiration....the idea flows into my mind, fuelled by the mind bending properties of a good brew of Yorkshire tea...  a compact retro coated retro gaming station! So the birth of a wonderful project. So here I am now updating this blogspot for the first time in nearly six years!!!  😊 Step one is to find a long screwdriver to get this thing open and start stripping the bits out - although the project will have to start in earnest after I have done a dreaded incoming exam which I am currently (trying) to study for although the